To obtain this service, applicants should have a driving license for lorries/ buses that has reached its expiration date. And, this condition only valid for the licenses that were issued after 1996 and the license information must already exist in the Department system, or for licenses issued before 1996, in the manual files.
In addition to meeting these requirements, applicants must provide all the necessary documents as specified in the “Documents Required” section. Failure to meet any of these conditions will result in disqualification from obtaining the service.
Steps to Renewing Driving Licenses
- Step 1: Applicant needs to obtain the application form called “M.T.A. 157”. This can be done by visiting either the district secretarial offices for normal service or the main office in Colombo for priority service, which takes only one day.
- Step 2 : Once the application form is filled out, the applicant must submit it along with the required documents to the district secretarial offices for normal service or the main office in Verahera-Colombo for priority service.
- Step 3 : The department issues a temporary license immediately upon receiving the application.
- Step 4: The accuracy of the documents provided by the applicant is then checked by the department.
- Step 5: Finally, if all the documents are accurate, the department issues the renewed driving license to the applicant.
Note : It is important to note that if the accuracy of the documents cannot be proven, the department will send a letter requesting the missing requirements from the applicant.
Driving License Renewal Online Appointments
Driving License Renewal Appointment Telephone Number 0112677877 or Direct appalment Call With (District Code + 2117116)
e-Channeling Medical Appointment Link
Document Submission Procedure to Renewing Driving Licenses
- Application forms for the renewal of driving licenses are provided free of charge, and can be obtained by filling out Form M.T.A. 157. This particular form is specifically designed for renewal of driving licenses, and contains all the necessary information to complete the application process.
- To apply for a driving license renewal , all applications must be directed to the Assistant Commissioner of the Licensing Division at the Department of Motor Traffic.
Assistant Commissioner ,
Licensing Division Department of Motor Traffic P.O. Box 533, 581
341, Elvitigala Mawatha
Note: Applicants have the option to obtain licenses through either the district secretarial offices for normal service or the main office in Verahera-Colombo for priority service. However, priority service is only available for licenses that have records within the department system.
Support documents that required :
- When you need to renew your driving license, there are certain support documents you must provide. These include your existing license, as well as either your national identity card or a valid passport that contains your NIC number. Be sure to bring both the original document and a photocopy.
- You will also need to provide two black and white photos of size 2×2 inches. These photos should be recent and clearly show your face.
- Another important requirement is a medical certification issued by the C.T.B Medical Institute. This certification verifies that you are fit to drive and do not have any medical conditions that would affect your ability to drive safely.
- If you are applying for the priority service, you will also need to provide a letter from either the Grama Niladhari or Regional Secretary certifying the accuracy of your residence. This letter confirms that you are a resident of the area and will help speed up the application process.
Renewing Driving Licenses Charges
When renewing your driving license, the cost will depend on the type of service you choose.
two options : normal service and priority service
- If you choose normal service for a one-time renewal that is valid for three years, the fee will be Rs. 320.00. However, if you option for priority service, the fee will be slightly higher at Rs. 370.00.
- If you need to renew your license more than once, the fee for normal service will be Rs. 300.00 for each additional renewal. For priority service, the fee will be significantly higher at Rs. 720.00 for each additional renewal.
- It’s important to note that if you choose priority service and need to renew your license more than twice, an extra fee of Rs. 600.00 should be added to the priority fee to cover the additional renewals.
This is only for information purpose. Please visit Department of motor traffic website to more details.